Saturday, June 30, 2012

MY NEXT FOOTSTEP


I actually can’t put a mental note to the time my holidays started. All the memory drums up is the last days of merry making the semester came with. With the accolade of student of the year award, what more could I ask for from an action packed year five was for me.
Well, the action mainly came from the leadership tasks I assigned myself to or was assigned to accomplish. This combined with the obvious busts of clinical medicine, surgery, pediatrics and obstetrics and gynecology, I could not ask for more.
Now that school is over, the tasks have decreased tremendously. For starters, there are no ward assignments to crumble out of bed for to catch up with. There are no patients to clerk and keep up with but this won’t be long as internship seems to be glaring up sooner than I can imagine.
Finishing school comes with a lot of relief especially if you have been in school for “FIVE” years. One is overwhelmed by excitement and at this time the parties for the usually “dull” medics were on top gear. Dull if you think we are anyway but I differ in that thinking.
When dawn comes after dusk, the question that you have been avoiding lingers back. This time more clear and definite. “What next?”
What next? Well the obvious answer is to rest and rest but that can be prosaic if you have been used to waking up very early, get patients’ blood results, perform a few minor procedures and yet at the same time rush for a 1000hrs appointment with a professor.
So what does someone do after all that, I could read novels till the heavens come down but I could not be still in one place for so long. Lucky for me, I have a research grant to carry out a study that could surely take some of my time but that is certainly not enough for a work junkie like I.
I got whirlwind on a job at some clinic but at this time it was stifling boring and I found myself shuffling my gait in another direction. Next stop is a research project within medical school, just something my mind craved for.
May be now my heart is in the right place and there is surely one way to find out. The mirror will always tell you what happened anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment