Its approximately three
weeks for me to begin my internship as my first posting as a medical officer. I
am reeling at this once in a lifetime opportunity and at times stay up the
night thinking about it. My thoughts meander into the beauty of practice and
the smile of a hopeless patient who then notices he/she still has another shot
at life. I guess that is what it would mean to make lives better literally. When
dawn reigns after dusk, I struggle to get out of my bed, I then remind myself
that it is about time.
With that in mind, I can’t
then fathom why my mind conjures at times to cause this restlessness especially
during this period. I have had encounters where I need to introduce myself and
am just mute for that period as the other person looks at me questioningly. The
results have been out for almost two months now for almost everybody is aware
that I am a doctor but why then do I stutter.
I have at times been
called a medical student which is what I was and at such times my body has been
shuddered into overriding cautiousness. Then the times I am referred to as “Doctor
Ismael” and it seems more surreal than I have ever imagined or gloated. You
could be wondering what then do I need if am not comfortable in my coatings
that I have sown myself.
I like to think that I
am just confused and as such this shall cease when internship start, a time I
will have a different identification to the one I used to put on while at
school.
Becoming a doctor is
one scenario but to have everyone calling you doctor so and so is yet another
case. One becomes a doctor after completing a medical, veterinary degree or a PhD
in any of the other courses. Which makes it purely academic in all regards. So
becoming a doctor is a recognition of an accomplishment of an academic feat
that one should bask in its glory. However to be called a doctor, shows not
just a personal recognition but a community recognition of your importance,
stature and almost near “immortality”.
With this in mind, I
still can’t get myself to getting comfortable yet. This transition period has
been most trying in identity crisis. More like when a teenager is confused
about being suddenly recognized as an adult. I guess we all (may be the
majority) do have a time when identity crisis sets in, I just didn’t expect
mine to be this one!
No comments:
Post a Comment